From The TV Show: Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

In the Abruzzo episode of the second season of Dream of Italy on PBS, Kathy visits a local winery and tastes some of the region’s most iconic wine.

Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, a dry, medium-bodied red wine with dominant fruit flavors, is the region’s most famous wine. Its Denominazione di Origine Controllata status covers all of Abruzzo’s four provinces, and ensures that the wine is made with a minimum of 85% Montepulciano grapes, with Sangiovese grapes allowed to compose the remaining 15%. Abruzzo’s diverse geography and temperatures – from mountains to sea and rain to sun – impart different characteristics into Montepulciano wines produced in different parts of the region. Alice Pietrantonj’s family has been making wine at Antica Casa Italo Pietrantonj in Vittorito for eight generations. The winery contains a wine museum, and is open for tastings and tours. For more information, visit:

To learn how to experience everything Kathy did in Abruzzo, get your free copy of the full Dream of Italy: Season Two Travel Guide here.

Learn more about Abruzzo in the pages of our award-winning publication and get help planning your own trip to Abruzzo!